Previously Released Bar Exam Essay Questions
Please read all of the information contained below before clicking the past bar exam files.
July 2001 CBX
February 2002 CBX
July 2002 CBX
February 2003 CBX
July 2003 CBX
February 2004 CBX
July 2004 CBX
February 2005 CBX
July 2005 CBX
February 2006 CBX
July 2006 CBX
February 2007 CBX
July 2007 CBX
February 2008 CBX
July 2008 CBX
February 2009 CBX
July 2009 CBX
February 2010 CBX
July 2010 CBX
February 2011 CBX
July 2011 CBX
February 2012 CBX
July 2012 CBX
February 2013 CBX
July 2013 CBX
February 2014 CBX
July 2014 CBX
February 2015 CBX
July 2015 CBX
February 2016 CBX
July 2016 CBX
February 2017 CBX
Also, visit the State Bar of California’s site for Performance Tests. Here is the sample 90 minute PT that is released before the July 2017 Bar Exam is administered:
As noted, these past essay exams are based on the California Bar Exam. But if you’re in any law school or studying for any bar exam in the United States, you can still use a substantial amount of the past essay exams found here. The content here also includes model answers.
There are seven subjects that are multi-state and use generally accepted fundamental legal principles as defined by the National Conference of Bar Examiners. These seven subjects also appear on the Multistate Bar Examination (“MBE”). Therefore, these subjects can be applied in any laws school or any bar essay exam. Here are the seven multi-state subjects:
1. Civil Procedure – Law Applied: Federal Rules of Civil Procedure;
2. Constitutional Law – Law Applied: United States Constitution;
3. Contracts/Remedies – Law Applied: Either Common Law or Uniform Commercial Code;
4. Criminal Law and Procedure – Law Applied: Varies between US Constitution, Common Law, MPC, and based on generally accepted fundamental legal principles;
5. Evidence – Federal Rules of Evidence;
6. Real Property – Law Applied: Common Law or generally accepted fundamental legal principles;
7. Torts/Remedies – Law Applied: Common Law or generally accepted fundamental legal principles;
Please note that some essays are California specific. It is highly suggested that the call of the question be read first. The subjects below are at times tested based specifically on California law (not an exhaustive list).
1. Civil Procedure – Law Applied: California Code of Civil Procedure;
2. Evidence – Law Applied: California Evidence Code.
Click on this link for previously released bar essay exams: Past Bar Exams.
Disclaimer: Past exams found here are the property of the State Bar of California. The property is used here in accordance with all written regulations. Furthermore, any subject mentioned above may fall under generally accepted fundamental legal principles. Last, Jurax does not make any representation guaranteeing any type of results.